Saturday, August 26, 2006

Ted Chippington

Super Ted

The first thing that struck you about Ted Chippington's stand-up routine was the way people would give a cheer, a few seconds into a gag (more often than not his signature joke "Can you tell me how far it is to the Railway Station from here mate?") in much the same way that (I imagine) Robbie Williams gets a cheer when his band strike up the opening bars of "Angels".

Also you would leave the show, ever so slightly disappointed if you didn't hear your favourite variation of the "walking down the road the other day" gag. And this was long before Newman & Baddiel told us Comedy was the new Rock'n'Roll...

In between the stand-up he would self-consciously boogie over to his cassette player, press play, and then deliver his interpretation of a rock'n'roll classic over the cheesy backing track. A sort of twisted West Midlands karaoke in monotone.

I think these were always my two favourite tunes of his - the anti-version of Dion's "The Wanderer" and a heartbreakingly sad (but at the same time hilarious) rendition of Alvin Stardust's "I Feel Like Buddy Holly"

Ted Chippington - The Wanderer
Ted Chippington - I Feel Like Buddy Holly

Half the fun of a Ted gig was his interaction with the audiences who were generally either baffled, overly aggressive or laughing so hard they were in physical pain.

Rather than slip out of character, Ted would deal with hecklers using the same deadpan technique that was winding them up so much in the first place.

Ted Chippington - The Front-End Of An Ass
Ted Chippington - I'm Ted Chippington

There is a rumour going round that Ted might be forced out of retirement to do some more shows in 2007 to promote a boxset of his work which is supposedly being planned on the back of The Nightingales reunion. Personally I can't wait. A forgotten comic genius.

Rockin With Rita Video (with Fuzzbox & The Nightingales)
Ted Chippington on Wikipedia

14 comments:

Crayola Sarandon said...

i've just done the flyers for the 'gales october tour and ted is indeed playing a few of the dates.

7 oct. junction, bristol
8 oct. joiners, southampton
9 oct. cavern club, exeter

cx

Anonymous said...

You know that cant be bad indeed! I got a call from my top mate Jonny Dellow in Southampton yesterday confirming that Ted is indeed returning to tread the boards once more. Cant wait to catch up with the old bugger - we shared some rum times together last century... I hope that word gets around sharpish and that the shows are packed. He's a one-off, noone has ever come close to his brilliance: thank god he's back - comedy needs a proper kick up the arse and he's the right bloke to put the boot firmly where it deserves to be!

Anonymous said...

saw ted last night,,, true greatness

Wastedpapiers said...

Good to hear again. Just added a bit about Ted to my audio blog. I will put a LINK. cheers mate!

Anonymous said...

Pete the Greek here from California. Back in the late 1980s, I stumbled across a Ted Chippinton 12" single of his version of "She Loves You", and I've been hooked ever since. Glad to see he's going to do a box set. The guy is brilliant, and should get his due. I used to play "She Loves You" on my radio show years ago, and my phones would light up. "Who singing "She Loves You" "... I wish Ted a long life, and good luck with his new release! Pete the Greek San Leandro, California

domestic empire said...

Great :-D

(linked to john peel everyday - hope I can help spread the word!)

Anonymous said...

one of the saddest days in my life was the day I lost my "A good mate of Ted" badge...

Top entertainer. Was torn about whther to see him in Wolverhampton last week. Decided against it in case he spoiled my memories of him. Deeply regret it now.

Hope you don't mind that I've linked to this. You might get a couple of more hits via my site.

Anonymous said...

I very much look forward to seeing Ted do a full set at the Bull & Gate next Sunday. I remember seeing him there once many moons ago. I was relatively young then and not able to hold my drink. I drank a bit too much and had to go outside for a tactical chunder in the alley down the side of the B&G. Who should find me there but Ted taking in the airs before his performance? He enquired if I was alright and recommended that I go and drink some orange juice, which I did only with vodka in it, which is probably not what he meant. Great memories, anyway.

Paula said...

Hi Ted Fans,

I was one once.
I have a 12" copy of The Wanderer, is it worth anything?

Anonymous said...

After the Tedstock benefit at London’s Bloomsbury Theatre on 5/2/07 arranged by Stewart Lee to raise the cash for a Ted Chippington four-CD retrospective, the CD set will be available from Big Print records, priced £15. Email bigprint@hotmail.com to order.

robowurzel said...

We are doubly blessed here in the south west (Teds adopted residence of choice outside of California). Ted opens for The Fall at the Exeter Phoenix on Tuesday 27 March

Anonymous said...

I want to get hold of the promo video for 'She Loves You'. I remember seeing it as a kid because my sister was in it playing Ted's girlfriend... I don't remember if it was on TV or if I was just being shown a VHS.

if you know anything about it please email me at jamesharvey@catjams.com .

James

Anonymous said...

Ted is also appearing at (and compering a day) at Rhythm Festival
http://www.rhythmfestival.net
with the likes of Alabama 3, Levellers, Joe Bonamassa, John Mayall & The Blues Breakers, Ike Turner, Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel, Hothouse Glowerrs, Terry Reid, Prince Buster, Seth Lakeman, Dr John, Frank Sidebottom, Dr Feelgood, Yardbirds, The Beat...

Anonymous said...

On tour with Nightingales again this May!

http://www.thenightingales.org.uk/news.htm