Friday, September 15, 2006

Frank Sinatra - Watertown



For an artist who established himself in the 1950's, it might seem that I'm being wilfully obscure by choosing the 1970 concept album "Watertown" as my favourite Frank Sinatra record, but bear with me..

Apparently it only sold a few 100,000 copies and was universally panned by the critics at the time. Lord Google doesn't offer much in the way of positive reviews either with most people retrospectively dismissing it as Frank's failed attempt at a Rock Opera and/or a desperate ploy to appeal to a younger audience.

It seems that even Sinatra himself lost interest in it (a planned TV Special based around the story was canned) - so what's to like about it?

Well, this is the guy who INVENTED the concept album and I've always preferred his sad collections (Only The Lonely, Where Are You? In The Wee Small Hours etc) rather than the swing records (Songs For Swingin Lovers, Swing Easy, Swing Along With Me..) or the tenuously themed ones (Come Fly With Me..all the songs are about foreign places geddit? Moonlight Sinatra...all the songs have the word MOON in the title..genius!). Within that illustrious canon, Watertown is quite possibly his saddest album EVER.

Also the music was penned by original member of the Four Seasons, Bob Gaudio who's songwriting pedigree can't be argued with ("The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore", "Can't Take My Eyes Off You", "December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)" to name but a few).

Upon first listen it's the story of a man who has been deserted by his wife and left to bring up their two kids alone. Pretty much every song is addressed directly to the absent partner and the simplistic style of lyric reads like a series of letters. As the story develops, the Father receives news that she is coming back to them, but ultimately he's left stranded at the Railway Station as it becomes apparent that she was never aboard the train and won't ever return.

Admittedly I have listened to this album far too much and I started to think about the bits of the story that didn't add up.

Firstly, she has not only abandoned him but also the two kids - I know this DOES happen but is not exactly common behaviour amongst women. Secondly, he mentions that her Mother still comes by to help with the children and along with other friends they encourage him to move on and find a new love. Surely any Mother would concentrate on getting her wayward Daughter back on track and try to orchestrate a reconciliation? But he's not ready to move on, he's not over her and he can't understand why nobody sees this. Lastly I just don't get why she would say that she is coming back and then just not turn up, breaking his heart a second time. Then it dawned on me..

She's not coming back because she's dead.

The story would have you believe that she is just a troubled soul that couldn't settle and had to leave, but I'm convinced that the subtext is that she's actually passed away. At this point you begin to hear the songs as the painful wailing grief of a broken man - continually writing letters to a much loved deceased partner, refusing to accept that their perfect life has been torn apart - until eventually his state of mental collapse leads him to hallucinate that she has actually written back to him and promised to return...(he even admits in "The Train" that he never sent any of his letters, they're all still piled in the drawer..classic behaviour for a grieving widower)

OK..so the liner notes of the CD play it straight and stick with the simple interpretation that she has just upped & left him, but that's from the writers - I'm sure Frank knew the REAL meaning. The track "Goodbye (She Quietly Says)" is the part of the song cycle that is meant to explain why she left - but it doesn't offer any answers - "Good-bye, said so easily, Good-bye, said so quietly" - is as much explanation as he can muster. Even "Lady Day" the bonus track that they added to the reissue hints at the fact that the girl is dead - "Her morning came too fast too soon and died before the afternoon".

And so as he stands alone on the platform at the end - awash with the realisation that none of it is true, you can almost hear the thud as he slumps to the ground in cruel despair, his world sharply coming back into focus.

So what if it has a few rock orchestrations here and there, it's a masterpiece & Frank Sinatra's voice could express more emotion in one phrase than a million Chris Martin's trying REALLY HARD to sound emotional over the course of a really LONG song.

The opening verse of "Michael & Peter" still brings a tear to my eye each time I hear it, and the track "I Would Be In Love Anyway" is another howl of bereavement - "Though you'll never be with me, and there are no words to say, I'll still be in love anyway".

RIP The Voice.

Frank Sinatra - Michael And Peter (intro)
Frank Sinatra - I Would Be In Love Anyway

Wikepedia entry for Watertown
Buy Watertown on Amazon

39 comments:

stevedomino said...

this is a GREAT post, great writing, great tracks. never heard of this album before but am now eager to hunt it down. love your take on the 'concept'! more of this, please!

Anonymous said...

Ditto!
I'm waiting for Chet Baker to make an appearance.....
Dan J

Anonymous said...

Great post. Its definitely one of Frank's most underappreciated albums. You're not the first person I've heard propose the "she's dead" theory.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes said...

Thanks for writing about this album. I've seen the LP at a local record store for $2.00. I didn't know if it was any good, since it appeared to be so different from a typical Sinatra album. Fortunately, I'm a great fan, so I'll definitely be grabbing it on my next record hunt.

Anonymous said...

I've loved this album for years - had it as a real album first, then bought the CD a couple of years ago. It goes into my CD player every six months or so, and I sing with it and cry. I'm always amazed how few people know about it or talk about it. You can hear the effect of age in Frank's voice on the recording, but somehow that adds to the sadness.

Anonymous said...

This album/cd is over 35 years old and still one of my all-time FS favorites. When this came out I was going through almost the duplicate of this life process. Very haunting indeed.

Anonymous said...

I picked up this album at a used record store. It was still sealed, so I snapped it up. As I write this, I'm still listening to it. I wanted to know more about it (since it is never really talked about) and I came across your post. Your post makes me feel so good knowing I'm not the only romantic alive. I think I love you :)

Cheers-
A Friend

-W- said...

A great album, agreed.

I just don't get the "death" theory. One example as to why, is that it is not supported in any way by "what's now is now" ... no ambivalence / ambiguity there, a clear reference to an affair. To then try and belive that it's possible that he's making it up and is effectively hallucinating is far too tenuous. I'm happy with the literal meanings.

Thanks for sharing your views though, I'm always interested to read about this masterpiece.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading the post on Watertown.
I have really come to love this album since I bought it a few months back. It really reminds me of David Ackles and The Jimmy Webb/Richard Harris albums.
If Lady Day was not on the orriginal album I'd say that is a good thing. I don't think it quite fits with the arc of the album. I do like the song though.
I don't go along with the 'she's dead' theory but can certainly see it's got some weight, all great music is open to interpretation and ambiguity.
I also find myself thinking of Berlin by Lou Reed when I think about Watertown.

obanlad said...

Great post, it was good to find someone else who thought of the death theory. Bought the album when it was first out, though I am not a Sinatra fan (only have this and A man alone) but it was the writers that drew to it and fell in love with it. Best track "Whats now is now" Worst track the add on "Lady Day".

Still brings a tear or two to the eyes when the CD is on your sitting next to the fire with a bottle of wine.

amaltaas said...

Great post!!!so very informative about the beautiful beginnings of concept album! thank you :)

Anonymous said...

At the time this album was released Frank Sinatra was married to Mia Farrow- 30 years his junior-the marriage did not last long and I remember reviews at the time referring to the break-up.

Paul 'Fuzz' Lowman said...

I'm a pretty crazed Watertown fan, and really enjoyed reading your post. Totally agree there is alot to support the 'wife is dead' theory. I've just posted a stupidly long analysis of the album at http://www.electricroulette.com/2008/09/frank-sinatra-w.html, where I put a link to this page. Always nice to meet a fellow enthusiast.

gilbertgigliotti@gmail.com said...

I'm coming to this thread VERY late, but I humbly direct you to my "A Storied Singer: Frank Sinatra as Literary Conceit" (Greenwood Press, 2002), in which I dedicate am entire chapter to "Watertown."

I can't make the whole case here, but, given the state of Sinatra's career in the late 60s, I read the album allegorically with the woman who leaves him as the record-buying audience. FAS is trying to figure out where she's gone -- and was it something he did, something he didn't do, and will she ever return. The album's conclusion of Sinatra standing at the train station unsure of her return would be answered by the great indifference with which the album was greeted. And he would retire shortly thereafter.

For what it's worth!

GLG

rand said...

I've heard about Watertown for years and finally picked up a copy of the original vinyl release a couple of weeks ago. Indeed, it's a remarkable, unappreciated work.

I think, based on the comments here, that it rises to the level of art because it can be interpreted in so many different ways. It communicates with the listener in a very personal way and you really bring some of your own perspective to it.

Anonymous said...

This is also one of my favorite Frank songs. I have spoken to Frank about this and he even performed it during a rare private concertin the mid 70s in Palm Springs. Sinatra opened the song with this is a song about a man whos women has up and left him, heck for all he knows she's dead.

Anonymous said...

Um, none of the personnel involved in creating the album - the writer, composer, Sinatra, etc., ever said anything about Elizabeth being dead. Dead? No, she just dumped Frank. Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Anything else is fantasy for the sake of it, looking for clues to back up a wacky wacky idea that trivializes, not deepens, the intent of the album's creators. But don't take my word for it me - ask Paul McCartney; he's been dead since 1966!

Anonymous said...

Um, none of the personnel involved in creating the album - the writer, composer, Sinatra, etc., ever said anything about Elizabeth being dead. Dead? No, she just dumped Frank. Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Anything else is fantasy for the sake of it, looking for clues to back up a wacky wacky idea that trivializes, not deepens, the intent of the album's creators. But don't take my word for it me - ask Paul McCartney; he's been dead since 1966!

Anonymous said...

Bought this album years ago. So different from his other albums that I was about to take it back after the 1st listen. Glad I didn't as its now my favourite. So sad and always brings a tear to my eyes even after 10 years of listening! Love the different interpretations though...

tedcab said...

No one has mentioned the beautifully organic flow of the music from song to song and the wonderful "Four Seasons'- like Gaudio arrangements with the screaming violins to rip at your heartstrings. This is Sinatra's masterpiece, and for all I know of their work, maybe Gaudio's and Holme's as well

tedcab said...

No one has mentioned the beautifully organic flow of the music from song to song and the wonderful "Four Seasons"- like Gaudio arrangements with the screaming violins to rip at your heartstrings. This is Sinatra's masterpiece, and for all I know of their work, maybe Gaudio's and Holme's as well.

Unknown said...

Listen to Lady Day as it was intended by the writers....it's about Elizabeth. It's important as the man i now looking at the break-up for the first time through her eyes. I agree it's Sinatras lost masterpiece and ranks up there with his best!!!

Unknown said...

I grew up in the area - Philadelphia. I even once took a passenger train, the Bee Liner, to Watertown & back, in the mid 50's. I have an extra dimension of enjoyment with regard to the 'Watertown' album. Frank Sinatra used to travel the country in his own railroad car. Not a bad way to go.

Richard Havers said...

Enjoyed your post. . . i agree with almost every word of it!

Paul said...

At 2:23 PM, Anonymous said…

At the time this album was released Frank Sinatra was married to Mia Farrow- 30 years his junior-the marriage did not last long and I remember reviews at the time referring to the break-up.


Sorry, but you are incorrect. Mr. S had been divorced by Mia for over a year by the time he took this into the studio.

Paul said...

Paul 'Fuzz' Lowman said...
I'm a pretty crazed Watertown fan, and really enjoyed reading your post. Totally agree there is alot to support the 'wife is dead' theory. I've just posted a stupidly long analysis of the album at http://www.electricroulette.com/2008/09/frank-sinatra-w.html, where I put a link to this page. Always nice to meet a fellow enthusiast.

I have tried this link and it does not exist! Has anyone gotten on to read this? I'D LOVE TO!!! Can someone post the proper link, please?

R. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lillyland said...

Great post...My dad has had this album for years...We both think it's Sinatra's best album...
I like your theory that she could be dead...Either way it's a very moving album with lovely lyrics and Frank's great voice...

john g said...

Great cd, i recently discovered it and I'm kind of glad it's not that well known. Sort of like our little niche of Frank fans who can appreciate how his voice and delivery made these songs sound so true and believable.
It's haunting and sad, It reminds me of my father when I listen to it.

Anonymous said...

"Lady Day" is not relevant to the rest of the album. It is simply a bonus track, an early release of a song that is wholly a tribute to the real Lady Day -- Billie holiday.

And, Elizabeth in not dead. She left because she was a gambling addict, and like an addict, she prolly had the best intentions of returning, but found a game and could,t resist.

Paul M. Mock said...

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

johnrbrown said...

If you want to know a lot more about Sinatra's Watertown album, go to http://www.watertownology.com

Anonymous said...

It is amazing that when the writers are mentioned, everyone know Gaudio but few know Jake Holmes. Look for "The Above Ground Sound of Jake Holmes" (1967). I had the vinyl. Includes 'Dazed & Confused', written by Jake and stolen by Jimmy Page.

Martin Ross said...

I bought this album when it was first released. I was at university in Manchester, England two years after my parents had separated and divorced. These songs, the emotion in The Voice, the arrangements were stunning then and still knock me over when I listen to it now. I hadn’t appreciated that the recording of Lady Day as a bonus track on the CD was part of the original album concept. It seems kind of separate to the other tracks. The entire concept of separation and resulting grief if you don’t get over it was so vivid to me personally I really identified with the album. Does anyone know of a story that after the recording of Elizabeth, Frank got a pressing of the track and went to a phone booth with a portable record player to call up Elizabeth Taylor so she could hear it? If it’s true, I guess Frank was really happy with that song in particular.

anonymous 2021 said...

Because of people who recommended this LP, I've given it multiple tries. None of the songs are striking -- not bad, but kind of like an unmemorable Broadway play. It's also just too heavy and depressing. I love torch songs that don't take themselves too seriously, but this LP is so depressing it makes me feel like wanting to slit my wrists.

Joe said...

Hi,

I remember being in a London record shop when I was going to see Sinatra at the Royal Festival Hall and the shop owner told me "Frank sent out his guys to buy up all copies of Watertown, he hates it!" Elizabeth is not dead, the songwriters don't have that much depth, and Watertown is deeply deficient lyrically and musically, incontestably the most superficial concept album Frank Sinatra recorded. Play No One Cares then play this and you will stop listening immediately.

gilbertgigliotti@gmail.com said...

If you compare Watertown with anything from Frank's years at Capitol, it loses without a doubt. However, if you compare it with what his peers were doing in 1970, it's far superior -- if for no other reason than he's at least TRYING to do something different.

This and his Rod McKuen album, both recorded in 1969, show far more willingness to experiment than other singers of his generation.

Are either on the par with his early Reprise much less Capitol or Columbia? No, but he was trying to navigate the new musical landscape. And his investment in these projects (and apparent failure) are what drove him to retire. If he didn't care, he would've just kept going.

My two cents.

Anonymous said...

Apparently it sold only 30.000 copies upon release.

Ron said...

I just picked this up at a local thrift store in Sept 2023. I cleaned the LP, spun it up and didn't sit down to really listen until "Michael and Peter". The moment it started, I said, "oh damn, she's dead!"
I'm enjoying it on the second listen and taking it in as a continuous story (I didn't know that at first). Also enjoying the fact that I've never heard any of the songs before!