Saturday, August 28, 2010

Best Gig I Ever Done See #6 - Bettie Serveert




Bettie Serveert
Derby Wherehouse November 1992


It's been quite a while since I added to the Best Gigs I Ever Done See list, suggesting that I've probably not seen that many good gigs. On the contrary, I just have a terrible memory. In fact one of the reasons I do this blog is because I suspect one day I won't even remember my own name.

My ailing memory embarasses me already because I can't remember the specific details of this particular gig. I had it in my head that
Bettie Serveert supported Buffalo Tom on this occasion, but some rudimentary googling shows that gig must have been the following year, so the best I can come up with is that they must have been supporting Belly?

That would make sense as they had just released their album "Palomine" on the short-lived 4AD off-shoot label Guernica and Belly were 4AD darlings of the UK music press at the time.

This was one of those special gigs where everyone in the audience was stunned by how good the previously unknown support band was. When they ambled on stage they couldn't have looked more Dutch - terrible hair, terrible clothes, terribly unfashionable guitars (it was almost unthinkable in 1992 that an indie band should have a Gibson Les Paul not a Fender Jaguar) and the singer wasn't even that good-looking. Yet they played their hearts out and you could see people in the crowd turning to each other exchanging nods of appreciation as they gradually won everyone over.

There was a real rush on their album at Way Ahead Records the next day and although there isn't a bad track on there this is still my favourite song of theirs.

Bettie Serveert - Brain Tag

No comments: